, , Perugia - 06121 (PG) |
The structure of the fortress was wanted by Paolo III Farnese in the 1540, after the so-called "War of the Salt". Was planed from the well-known military architect Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane and was the symbol of the papal power that reigned in Perugia for more of three centuries.
Indoors of the fortress can be visited ancient streets, medieval squares, the room of the papal guards and the house of Baglioni's family. Before to go out is possible to stop oneself to admire the remains of the ancient "Giuoco del Pallone", a stadium of wood where was practiced this game. From the outer is visible only a part of the walls of support and the bastion of east that incorporates the etruscan Marzia gate.
The visit of the fortress is simplified from an escalator that crosses the ancient remains with start from Partigiani square and arrival in Italia square. The Paolina Fortress is often seat of temporary exhobitions.